Rental threat to flooded property


Flood warnings are coming fast and thick in the United Kingdom and because of that thousands of real estate owners across the country are facing up to the effects of flood damages on their property. While it's already a bad situation, it can get even worse, especially when the property is already rented. But what does it mean for tenants and landlords?

It seems that for many property owners these situations are rather new and for those who own real estate in areas that have never been known as flood-risk areas, things can get even murkier. With that in mind the following paragraphs will explore some of the things property owners and also tenants need to consider if their property has been flooded.

Is the tenant required to move out?

According to information from the estate agents Shoreditch, tenants don't need to move out of the property unless the damage is major and when it comes to the necessary repairs, they are the sole responsibility of the property owner. There are cases though when the damages are severe and in such situations, landlords are not obliged by any law to find the tenant a new place to live, but they should suspend the rent.

When the property is so badly damaged the tenant cannot live there

Floods can easily cause a lot of damage to a property and in this case, the landlord is responsible for repairing it, including damage to the property's structure and ensuring that the installations for the supply of heating, sanitation, electricity, gas and water are in good working order. However, if the tenant needs to leave the house, it's not recommended he does so until:

1. Both the landlord and tenant agree why the tenant is leaving.
2. The landlord provides him with an estimate of the amount of time it'd take to repair the damages.
3. The landlord has confirmed the tenant can move back into the property after the repairs are over and he can live there in the same conditions as before.

Compensation for damaged property

In many cases the houses for rent Shoreditch will sustain great flood damages and the items inside the property are certainly going to be affected. When this happens, tenants need to get in touch with the estate agents Shoreditch to report the damages and be realistic about their compensation, since a two years old TV that had an initial cost of 600 pounds is no longer worth 600 pounds. While it's unfair, the same rule applies when the tenant damages the landlord's items.

If the landlord has insurance, then he'll pass the tenant's letter to his insurance company and they'll take care of the rest. However, if he isn’t and the tenant informs the landlord about his damaged property and he gets no response in 14 days, there are a few things he can do:

1. He can write another letter that’s similar with the previous one, but titled differently (Letter before action) and write down a deadline that if he's not compensated for his damages within X amount of days, then he'll take legal action.
2. Get in touch with the tenancy relations officer at the local council.

There are cases when landlords won't pay up and if this happens, tenants should file a claim. This process involves paying a few fees, but they can be recovered if the tenant wins the case. With that being said, while not all houses for rent in Shoreditch will suffer flood damage, those that find themselves in this situation should follow these tips in order to be compensated for their damages.